During the first week of January, 2017, the Swarthmore Fire & Protective Association responded to the following alarms:
Emergency Medical Services (EMS): There were 21 calls for medical assistance within the Swarthmore, Wallingford, Morton and Rutledge area.
Building Fires: Three alarms from residential/commercial buildings were for fire/smoke detector activations and smoke in a building. The smoke in the building call was to assist the Morton-Rutledge Fire Company with a laundry machine malfunction in the Borough of Morton.
Auto Accidents: Two calls: One accident was in Springfield Township along Baltimore Pike; the other on Avondale Road in Wallingford.
Wires Down: One alarm, along the 300 block of Vassar Avenue.
Hazardous Materials: Three alarms for gas leaks on Marietta Avenue, the 400 block of Rutgers Avenue, and the 500 block of North Chester Road.