By Rich Cresson
From the beginning of 2018 through January 14, the Swarthmore Fire & Protective Association responded to the following alarms:
EMS: The ambulance responded to 35 calls for medical assistance. These were to Swarthmore, Rutledge, Morton, Springfield, and Nether Providence Township. The calls were for a variety of emergencies including accident with injury, sick person, seizures, fall with trauma, cardiac emergency, head injury, change in mental status, unconscious person, respiratory difficulty, tachycardia, pediatric emergency, back pain, hypotension, abdominal pain, assault, suicide attempt, sick person, medical alarm, cerebrovascular event, and lift assist.
Automatic Fire Alarm: Ten responses total. Three were to Nether Providence: the 300 block of Austin Ct., Springhaven Country Club, and the 100 block of Manchester Rd. Four were in Swarthmore, in the 100 block of Yale Ave., Dartmouth House Apts., CADES, and N. Swarthmore Ave. at Cedar Lane. One alarm was in Morton at Elwyn Services, and two were in Springfield Twp., with frozen/broken sprinkler pipes at 725 S. Chester Rd., and at 709 S. Chester Rd. at Swarthmore Dialysis.
Automobile Accidents: Two in Morton: one (with injuries) at 35 S. Morton Ave. and one at 2 E. Sylvan Ave. in Rutledge. There was one accident with injuries in Swarthmore at Yale and Cornell avenues.
Building Fire Alarms: Seven alarms included two in Springfield Twp., in the 1000 block of Baltimore Pike and at Harlee Manor. Two were in Swarthmore on the 200 block of South Chester Rd. for a smoky condition in the house coming from an electrical outlet, and for a home at North Swarthmore Ave. & Baltimore Pike. Two alarms called the fire company to Nether Providence: to the 300 block of Saybrook Lane for flames in the bedroom apartment, and to the 200 block of Canterbury Dr. for a kitchen fire. One alarm was for Walnut Lane in Morton.
Hazmat: Two alarms to Springfield for the smell of natural gas on the 1300 block of Nicklaus Dr. and the 200 block of Harwick Rd., and two alarms to Morton – 200 block of Sylvan Ave. for a gas leak in the kitchen and the 200 block of Harding Ave. for a carbon monoxide alarm.
Wires: One alarm at Woodland Ave. & the SEPTA crossing in Morton for black smoke coming from the manhole and a possible explosion.
Mutual aid calls: Fifteen total, to Morton-Rutledge, Nether Providence, and Springfield fire departments.